Cavy Breeders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sensitive Forum

+18
sarahliz
Sunnycott stud
Roline
Hendy
Bluestone
Matt
JanA
McCon747
Gwen
rw3272
carole
Caviastal Wirense
David C
RajashreeCavies
rosie
AG78
slimbridge1
Epic
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sensitive Forum - Page 2 Empty Re: Sensitive Forum

Post by Matt Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm

We can certainly look at the rewording of the rank titles if that is what is wanted by the majority - this is obviously a whole different subject. 'Experienced member' is meant to be in reference to the forum itself and a member being experienced in how the forum operates and how it should be used effectively, rather than suggesting they are experienced in Cavy Breeding and/or Exhibition, but I can fully understand that this wouldn't be clear to everyone, so maybe is an inappropriate title for members that have reached x amount of posts.
Matt
Matt
Forum Management
Forum Management

http://alpinecavies.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McCon747 Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 am

Matt, I think a re wording of the rank titles, would indeed be a good move to ensure the good reputation of your forum, for giving persons accurate advice is sustained.
McCon747
McCon747

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnycott stud Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:06 am

oh Matt...didnt realise our forum needed a better reputation. I love the place.
Sunnycott stud
Sunnycott stud
Forum Management
Forum Management

http://Sunnycott-stud.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McCon747 Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:18 am

Sunnycott Stud - I think you should maybe re-read the thread, no where does it mention the forum needs a better reputation!!

McCon747
McCon747

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahliz Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:33 am

I think that the people, like myself, who have reached a certain 'title' in regards to the level of experience of the forum have been on long enough to understand a) whether we have the appropriate level of understanding to sufficiently advise someone. And b) who exactly are the people who have the vast amounts of experience.

I know that if I personally don't know whether my information is 100% correct I will suggest another member of the forum who I know WILL know the answer.

But there are very experienced breeders on here who have a very limited post count, who new members might not defer to.

Also the forum has worked very well as it is for several years now, and the mods all do a fantastic job of weeding out the crazies and generally maintaining the good level of information which we have available.
sarahliz
sarahliz
Devotee
Devotee

http://heritagecaviary.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnycott stud Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am

McCon747 wrote:Matt, I think a re wording of the rank titles, would indeed be a good move to ensure the good reputation of your forum, for giving persons accurate advice is sustained.

Thats all i meant about reputation.
If i misread then just ignore my post. Smile
I cant help loving it here...made lots of wonderful friends then you meet some at shows.

Its so easy to say about change this and that but it isnt always easy pleasing everyone. What prompted post increases was a situation that had to be dealt with for not just the forum but the sake of the fancy....the people were not cavy exhibitor or breeding friendly to the point of nasty and extreme.

WE HAD to do something and also the sensitive area is topics which are nothing to do with cute guinea pigs, its the seriousness we have to face sometimes as decent breeders and it became obvious on the main part of the forum that some do not wanna hear these topics of kick off about them. Some things need discussing imo even if they are cute or sweet.
Sunnycott stud
Sunnycott stud
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 am

I think we can all understand where Ivan is coming from though Sarah. You may realise that your knowledge is limited (so do I after all these years!) but newcomers to the forum look at the ranking and may well go to an "experienced member" who thinks they know everything but in fact knows very little. We have to look at it from both sides and realise that if we can make it more easily understood then it can only benefit all our members. Remember we tried the experts thread where certain people were the only ones who could answer? That went down like a lead balloon because some people were indignant that they weren't on the list and were "experts". Sometimes we can't do right for doing wrong but we do try.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

http://www.freewebs.com/heartsease-cavies

Back to top Go down

Post by McCon747 Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:44 am

No Tracy, I can fully appreciate why it was necessary to 'weed' out that kind of people, that are intent on damaging the Cavy Fancy.

Sarah, I am in no way downing the forum, I too agree that it is run very well. I do not post very often, I do however read most the posts on here, and over my time on the forum, have read some very good sound advice, given. I have however on occasion read some right clap trap, and it is this that concerns me, when the person delivering is described as a "Experienced Member". Ivan
McCon747
McCon747

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnycott stud Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:53 am

thats a fair point.....i guess i didnt quite realise is newbies go by the ranking to ask their advice....like the ranking is their knowledge of cavies when in fact someone can get 150 posts writing nonsense.

With any animal it is so important to have some knowledge to build on and yet new people dont always know 'the people who know' like us. I Learnt names of good fanciers but if others go by the rankings it isnt meaning they are necessarily experienced.
Sunnycott stud
Sunnycott stud
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahliz Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 am

I hope the clap trap is quickly dismissed when it does appear!

Wasn't there talk of putting your level of experience in your signature some time ago?
sarahliz
sarahliz
Devotee
Devotee

http://heritagecaviary.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunnycott stud Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:10 am

oh yeh...then people see you are a judge or secretary or what breeds you have. That was an added bonus i think to see who is who.
Sunnycott stud
Sunnycott stud
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by galaxy Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:46 am

Totally agree with everything you have said Ivan, there is so much ‘clap trap’ being posted just to boost rankings and those of us who have been members for a long time are excluded. I am amazed at how members can get to be an experienced member in a few months.
A certain membership length would limit this.

The expert thread was a great idea Gwen, so what if some people were upset at not being on the expert list. The ‘real’ new members need to know who to trust.
galaxy
galaxy
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 am

It always seems that new members have to go badly wrong before they get the right advice. I don't pretend to know what the answer is but I wish they didn't have to spend so much time and money getting poor stock only to have to start all over again when they do eventually get help.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Epic Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 am

I had access & now I don't. Seriously? WTH.

-.- Not pleased.
Epic
Epic
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

http://epic-cavies.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 am

You probably slipped through the net. When the change was made Matt had an enormous task and a few people were granted access that should not have been and so access had to be removed again. No-one has automatic access to the sensitive forum so I guess you'll need to be very patient.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by rw3272 Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 am

It is a really tough job and one I dont envy one bit! I do think the sensitive forum should be decided purely on mods discretion and nothing to do with post number.

I don't mind not being able to advertise stock as I can do this on the NFTCC forum or by word-of-mouth. But it is nice to be able to reply to wanted ads so that newcomers can have a decent shot at obtaining good quality stock from the start Smile

rw3272
rw3272
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

http://www.przibram-stud@piczo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 am

That is the most important part of the Classified section I think. Pointing newcomers in the right direction is vital to stop them getting poor stock which leads to disappointment. I think we lose fanciers quicker that way than any other.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Georgie Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 am

I've read this thread and i totally agree. I love this forum and i have benefitted from the "sensitive" section. I am not the type to "go off on one" if i don't agree with something, purely because i still have an awful lot to learn! I'm classed as an experienced member but i'll admit that i'm far from experienced so maybe a change to the level of experience is a good idea. I did think that the stars and levels were just about forum, not level of experience on guinea's.....sorry! i can be a bit dull!!!
If the mods wish to stop me using the sensitive section that's fine with me. Whatever they feel works for the forum. As many have said, not everyone can be pleased! I would prefer to be honest and ask the "stupid questions" rather than do a google search and pretend to know what i'm on about......! Very Happy
Georgie
Georgie
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

http://www.olivabicavies.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 am

I think you're absolutely right that the stars were intended to indicate the amount of experience on the forum, not an indication of experience with cavies. It has obviously been misunderstood by some and that has caused the confusion.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Pigs Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 am

Gwen wrote:It always seems that new members have to go badly wrong before they get the right advice. I don't pretend to know what the answer is but I wish they didn't have to spend so much time and money getting poor stock only to have to start all over again when they do eventually get help.

I had a bad start! i had to start all over again and then only to loose my 2nd breeding stock to a horrid virus its been crushing! and the first let down nearly did make me leave the hobby i was gutted!!! my second lot of stock i got was stunning and all unrelated and its been devestating!

I was sold a trio of DE Cream selfs all lovely asked there parents and date of births and so on looked at them and thought i like them! i didnt want to take the boar as i wanted to get a boar from another breeder but i was made to take him as he told me i couldnt have the sows if i didnt take the boar

so when i got home just for my records i emailed the breeder and asked for their date of births and each pigs mother and father i got a shock! in the email it said that the boar had the same mother and father as the sows but from different litters

I emailed breeder back saying i couldnt breed from the pigs as they where full brother and sister he insisted that they were not related as they came from different litters! Rolling Eyes
so i said can he have the boar back so i could get another boar as i was unhappy
he said no because there is nothing wrong with the boar!

plus i do know a fair bit about pigs as i showed as a child and a teenager i grew up with them and the knowledge that was passed to me
but i do feel a bit nervous and shy about showing on my own and a little bit unconfident
but the day to day care/pregnacy of a pig i know about that! just need to get to grips and confident about exhibiting!
Griffin Pigs
Griffin Pigs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Pigs Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 am

but i to will never ever claim to know everything or call myself an "expert"
Griffin Pigs
Griffin Pigs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 am

That's exactly the sort of thing I want to avoid with newcomers being treated like that. It makes me so angry when established breeders take advantage of people new to the fancy. Are you settled with your stock now? I hope you've got good foundation stock.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Pigs Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 am

Gwen wrote:That's exactly the sort of thing I want to avoid with newcomers being treated like that. It makes me so angry when established breeders take advantage of people new to the fancy. Are you settled with your stock now? I hope you've got good foundation stock.

Not quite settled yet! as i lost the majority of breeding stock to streptacoccus! i have 3 breeding pigs left from what i brought this year!
I have one Lilac and white Argente boar hes gorgeous and from a reputable breeder who has helped me out a great deal and sadly i lost my two chinchilla breeding pigs one was 5 months Called bubbles and the other was a lovely chin boar called sausage!
I am getting A trio of swiss when my quarenteen is lifted they are from a good breeder aswell
I lost all my breeding pair of longhairs to! my coronet and sheltie devastated! before i could get my first litter of pigs!
i have been set so far back!
i have a lovely PE White self sow who is about 12 weeks old
and my other breeding sow is a DE cream self sow who is 8 months and i am trying to get in pig she is running with my argente to get chinchillas

another reason why i joined this forum i do not want to get ripped of ever again it was awful i felt so stupid and taken advantage of!
Griffin Pigs
Griffin Pigs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwen Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:15 am

Dear me - you've had a rough ride. Sadly you're not alone but I hope you've got some good breeders helping you now. Don't be afraid to ask for help on here if you need it in future.
Gwen
Gwen
Forum Management
Forum Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin Pigs Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 am

thanks! i remember my hobby as a child and a teenager and missed it greatly i got involved as a junior/ teenager in the showing of pigs but not enough to understand fully i was taught mainly about the care and upkeep of the animals plus i have studied them quite a bit with books and just by keeping them
i am going to do the Rodentology course in the new year i got my email from them two days ago!

Just wish i had someone with me that knew a bit more about buying foundation stock to help me with the first purchase i made
Griffin Pigs
Griffin Pigs
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next